Naturally, we’re big falafel fans at Naf. There’s nothing better than that crispy, golden brown exterior wrapped around an herby protein-packed chickpea interior. Today, Chef Pat shows us how to make an at-home version: the falafel fritter! Watch the video to see his tips and tricks, and see the full falafel fritter recipe (and more) below to make your own!
View this post on Instagram
Chef Pat’s back with more #NafHacks at home – and this time, he’s frying it up real nice. These falafel fritters make great salad toppers or slider stuffers, and they should do the trick ‘til we’re back in action at Naf! Feel free to share your favorite falafel feasts below, and see the full recipe at the link in our bio! . . . . #dceatss #minneapolisfoodie #mnfoodie #bestfoodphilly #eaterphilly #chicagofoodies #chicagorestaurants #indyfood #indyfoodie #middleeasterncuisine #middleeasternfood #vegetarianfoodshare #vegetarianeats #vegetarianmeals #pitabread #chickenshawarma #hummuslover #nafnafgrill #nafon
Falafel Fritter Recipe
- 1 cup chickpeas, dried and soaked
- 1/3 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBL warm water
- 1/3 cup flour
- As needed, canola oil
- Preheat a 350 degree oven.
- Combine chickpeas, cilantro, jalapeno, onion and garlic in a food processor.
- Separately combine dry spices and baking soda then add water, mix into a slurry and pour over the other ingredients.
- Pulse for 10 seconds, open the lid and push the ingredients down off the side walls and repeat twice.
- Scoop into a bowl and fold the flour in.
- Preheat a thin layer of oil into the bottom of a skillet over medium high heat.
- Form the batter into ½ inch thick round patties and carefully place in the oil for 1 minute.
- Flip over and repeat for 1 minute, pan frying both sides to golden brown.
- Place the seared patties on a cookie tray and bake for 20 minutes.
Tahini Citrus Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
Lime Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 TBL honey
- 2 TBL cilantro, fresh
- 1/2 tsp garlic, raw
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blended oil
- Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a blender, pulse until liquified.
- Set the blender on medium and slowly add oil.